A college essay

Cindi Cunnius

Dr. M…..

PSC101

August 22, 2017


Should voting be mandatory? 

Since 2012, I have been working on the election board in my town. Meaning I run the polls along with other members, setting up machines and assisting individuals who need help. This past presidential election I’ve witnessed the highest amount of people turn out to vote. 

On the next day when I go about my normal day, I’ll see people who I know didn’t vote. So I’ll proceed to ask why they didn’t vote. A unanimous answer of those people are, is that no one pertained to their liking or were in their favor of opinions. A few people would say that they forgot or were too busy. At the nursing home, the elderly are given the absentee papers but, never turn them in. Simply because they do not know who the person who is running, or what that particular person wants to do for the community, state, or country. 

Making voting mandatory won’t be fair for anyone. For the reason that everyone has a different point of view. If someone isn’t running in there party then they would be reprimanded or penalized? That is not fair at all. Voting should still remain a personal option to do and not become a demand by the government. 


Comments